The World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) has received several reports of bird flu outbreaks in Europe and Asia in recent times, Reuters report,
why it matters: Avian influenza, commonly known as bird flu, is a highly contagious disease of influenza that affects food-producing birds, domesticated birds and wild birds. Past outbreaks have prompted mass killing of birds and trade restrictions in some areas, Reuters notes.
big picture: According to Reuters, all 770,000 birds at a poultry farm in South Korea were killed by the outbreak.
- Japan reported an outbreak in the northeast of the country – its first in the 2021 winter season, Reuters notes.
- Norway reported an outbreak of H5N1 in a flock of 7,000 birds.
- Belgium ordered poultry to be kept indoors until Monday after a highly contagious form of bird flu was found in a wild goose near Antwerp. It follows similar footsteps to France and the Netherlands.
- Outbreaks have also been reported in India and parts of Middle East this year.
Noteworthy: According to the OIE, “people who are in close contact with infected birds are at risk for avian influenza.” famous There is no evidence that bird flu can be transmitted by the consumption of poultry or eggs.
- In June, China reported its first case of the H10N3 bird flu strain.
- The country has also reported more than 21 infections of H5N6 avian influenza, per Reuters.