Natasha And Mary Ann And alex rode with everyone this week Courtesy On the dial, which meant we had a great time recording equity for you. Of course, Equity is Nerdshala’s venture capital-focused podcast where we dig into the most important funding rounds, and raves about the major news affecting startups.
Before we get into this week’s topics, you can follow the show on Twitter, where we often host sudden Twitter spaces that sometimes become episodes. Come wait!
Here’s the rundown for this week:
- Chalo raises $40M to improve bus transit in India: It wins Startup Week Name (and Startup). Let’s tackle the inefficiencies in India’s bus system, so we look at why it makes sense and what the challenges lie ahead.
- Masterworks raises $110M for partial art ownership: Call it a Series A if need be, but the Megaardon that Masterworks just raised helps underscore a global shift toward alternative investments and fractional ownership. Until we get masterwork on the blockchain? This will be the real IRL-NFT crossover we’ve been waiting for a bit.
- CostCertified wants to save on your next home reno project: Cost Certified, which just participated in Y Combinator’s summer cohort, raised $8.45M in seed funding. The Canadian company’s ultimate goal is to create an “Amazon for manufacturing.” Cost Certified allows contractors to send homeowners a purchasable interactive estimate so they can make their selections over the course of a project, and see the impact on price immediately.
- All about the community: The community has been watered, no doubt about it. But, there are still arguments as to why it works – and we make them (often).
- Google invests in Africa: US tech giant Google is putting capital to work in Africa, but in the form of infrastructure investments and early-stage investments. Clearly both make good sense given the advertising giant’s business model.
- EdTech B2B Goes: Udemy is going public! We have already figured out the numbers but thankfully with Natasha on the show, we got to the level where edtech revenue can come from going forward.
And that’s our show! We are back bright and early on Monday!