Government of Canada, the first two cases of the new Omicron variant detected in North America announced Sunday evening.
Running news: The World Health Organization has named Omicron “a type of anxiety” but cautioned earlier on Sunday that it is not yet clear whether it is more transmitted than other strains of COVID-19. .
- New strains have also been detected in several European countries, the United Kingdom, Israel and Hong Kong.
big picture: Two persons who tested positive in Canada had recently traveled from Nigeria, according to an Ottawa Public Health statement.
- The French Ministry of Health also announced Press release On Sunday evening, it has detected eight such possible cases. Testing is underway to confirm his diagnosis.
- Botswana’s Health Minister Edwin DiColotti announced on Sunday that 15 more cases of the Omicron variant had been reported in the country. Reuters Report.
- health officials in australia announced on sunday that they have detected two cases of the Omicron variant in travelers from southern Africa, the first such cases identified on the continent.
- Both people who tested positive were asymptomatic and fully vaccinated, the country’s health agency said in a release,
- The Netherlands also reported that they had identified cases of the variant among 13 travelers arriving from South Africa. National Institutes of Health,
big picture: Several countries have begun restricting or restricting travel to and from countries in southern Africa in an effort to stop the spread of the variant.
- Australia imposed new security measures Excluding anyone entering the country after traveling to South African countries the day before the identification of the variant, who is not a citizen or permanent resident.
- The Netherlands has also banned travel to and from southern Africa, with the country also announcing other measures such as an evening lockdown, according to new York Times,
Editor’s Note: This story has been updated with new details.