A former Franklin County sheriff’s deputy was indicted on Thursday on murder charges related to the shooting of 23-year-old black man Casey Goodson Jr. in Columbus, Ohio.
why it matters: Jason Meade was 44 years old Two accused of murder and one of reckless murder, The indictment comes nearly a year after the 23-year-old was murdered. His lawyer said the former sheriff’s deputy is expected not to plead guilty to all charges.
- Meade’s lawyer turned himself in on Thursday morning, Mark Collins said.
Catch up soon: The circumstances surrounding the December 4 shooting are disputed, as Mead was not wearing a body camera.
- He was serving on an unrelated assignment on the Sheriff’s Office SWAT team when he allegedly seen Goodson in the vehicle waving guns at officers, according to Columbus Dispatch,
- One post mortem report Said that Goodson was shot in the left and right sides of his back, twice in the middle back and in his buttocks.
- law enforcement officers noted that Goodson He was not the person being searched by the US Marshal’s task force.
What are they saying: “It’s good to see former sheriff’s deputy Jason Meade being charged with manslaughter and negligent manslaughter,” Columbus City Council President Shannon Hardin said in a statement. Tweet,
- “I hope this will bring momentary relief to the Goodson family as we approach the 1-year anniversary of Casey’s murder,” he said.
- “This office has a professional obligation to do everything in our power to keep the community and our duties safe,” said Franklin County Sheriff Dallas Baldwin. said in a statement,
- “As I have said from the beginning, I pray for all those involved in this tragedy,” he continued.
- “We all need to remember that Casey Goodson’s family demands justice, so does Jason Meade and his family,” Collins said.
what to watch: Meade is due to appear in Franklin County Municipal Court on Friday. per buzzfeed,
go in: Federal officials investigating police murder of black man in Ohio