McDonald’s Happy Meals have become a childhood staple around the world, but few people know that the marketing idea began in Guatemala as “Ronald’s Menu”.
What happened: Jose Maria Cofino and Yolanda Fernandez Di Cofino founded the first McDonald’s in Guatemala in 1974. Fernández de Cofino noticed that the children were not able to finish the food offered by the restaurant, so she came up with the idea of offering smaller portions for the children and including a toy to make the meal more of a meal. fun.
what is she saying: “I saw how mothers would arrive with their kids who didn’t know what to order so they would get a Big Mac but they were unable to eat it completely because the food was too big” Fernandez di cofino said Video.
- “I started thinking about what could be done so that people could stop wasting their money like this. I came up with the idea of creating a kids’ menu with a small burger, small fries, a small soda, and a small sundae. ” added. fernandez Di Coffino named the offering “Ronald’s Menu” after the company’s clown mascot, Ronald McDonald.
- fernandez De Cofino also includes toys “Kajita Feliz” which she will buy from a local market.
Intrigue: Coffino did not seek permission from McDonald’s chief executives to create the menu, but it received a positive response, which prompted him to introduce the menu during the 1977 World Franchisee Convention.
- McDonald’s corporate executives adopted the idea of Cofino and began implementing it around the world in 1979, calling it the “Happy Meal”.
- Company honored Fernandez Di Coffino with the “Ronald Award” in 1982, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the company.
do not forget: fernandez by Cofiño To die At the age of 87 in September.
- McDonald’s issued a statement saying that his death was “without a doubt, one of the most difficult and tragic moments for the family, the company and its thousands of partners in Guatemala … His light will always be in our hearts.”
- fernandez de cofino is also Responsible As for hosting birthday celebrations in restaurants: She came up with the idea of distinctive party areas for hosting large groups of children in a bar, for which she was awarded the second “Ronald Prize”.
Go in-depth for Hispanic Heritage Month:
How a Colombian Neurosurgeon Saved Our Brains
Chile R&D to eliminate virus
Argentina’s hand in fighting crime
Thanks to Color TV, Mexico
Peru feeds the world
Get more news that matters about Latinos across the hemisphere, delivered Tuesday and Thursday straight to your inbox. Sign up for the Nerdshala Latino newsletter.