Terry McAuliffe met with President Biden late this summer as he sought to boost his campaign for governor of Virginia. Now, with his race tightening, Democrats acknowledge that the president is “unpopular” in the state.
why it matters: The off-year election in Virginia is often viewed as a national bellwether. The question facing Biden is how many candidates like McAuliffe are concerned with the repercussions of his policies – and he fears it portends a disaster for him in mid-2022.
- “The president is unpopular today, unfortunately, here in Virginia, so we have to plow,” McAuliffe said. during a video conference call Which came out this week and was published by Daily Mail and others.
- Similarly, McAuliffe last week complained of stalling action by members of Congress on a $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill that would send billions to each state for road, bridge and other construction works.
- “I say: ‘Do your job,'” CNN quotes McAuliffe Telling Virginia Entrepreneurs Last Friday, after asking his fellow Democrats to deliver their message. “You got elected to Congress. We are desperate for this infrastructure money in the states.”
What are they saying: A McAuliffe spokesman told Nerdshala, “Terry’s point was clearly that Democrats can’t take anything lightly and that they should vote this year. Glenn Youngkin is pursuing a divisive, Trumpian agenda that’s part of an electoral conspiracy.” principles and the prohibition of abortion.
McAuliffe is seeking a second, non-vulnerable term as governor, He has spent much of his campaign branding his Republican rival Youngkin as a retainer of former President Donald Trump.
- It worked for some time in the formerly red state which became purple and the blue color trended.
- While Biden last defeated Trump in Virginia, Youngkin has closed the gap on McAuliffe, about public skepticism about how the incumbent president handled Afghanistan’s withdrawal and masked mandates and Democratic spending on Capitol Hill. Amidst the confusion about the disagreement.
During a rally with Biden in Arlington, Virginia in July, McAuliffe not only embraced the president but asked voters to think of him as a team.
- “Imagine what we can do for Virginia, with Joe Biden as president and I back as governor?” McAuliffe told the crowd. “Let me tell you, guys, this kingdom is going to fly like a rocket booster.”
During his own comment, Biden tied fate together McAuliffe and the Democratic Party.
- “Virginia, you have to choose her again. You have to choose her again. And I don’t mean just Virginia, but the country.”
- The president said: “The country is watching. This off-year election, the nation’s quest. It’s a big deal.”