The New World team has provided a little update on Server Transfer, a promised feature that they laid the groundwork for earlier this week but have yet to release. a Post The game forums on New World have updated a bit on that process, why it’s been put on hold, and what it’ll be like when it launches.
In short, a character will receive a free token from the in-game store, then can use it to move to a world that is not complete, not under maintenance, and is in the same area as theirs. You will keep all of your progress, currency, houses, and so on, but you will not maintain Company memberships, friend lists, or trading post orders.
Why is it taking a while to implement? “During our testing we uncovered some edge cases where the Transfer Experience did not meet our standards for its release. This means we will take some extra time to resolve these issues before we all Feel comfortable giving us your free Server Transfer Token.” Community Manager TrevzorFTW said.
here is Full Q&A on Transfers:
How do I move my character?
- You need to be logged in to your character, which means waiting in any applicable queue.
- Go to the in-game store where there will be a new tab to claim your Character Transfer Tokens.
- You have to leave your company.
- You need to remove any active trading post sell orders and buy orders.
- Your character must be located in a sanctuary (such as a settlement or outpost).
What comes with me when I transfer?
- You’ll keep all character progression (levels, weapon mastery, titles, etc.).
- You will keep your faction alliance and progress
- You will keep your inventory and storage.
- You will keep all your currency.
- You will keep the furnishings of your homes and residences.
- You will keep all quest progress.
What doesn’t transfer with my character?
- Your company membership needs to be terminated before it can be transferred, and will not be carried forward.
- Active trading post sell orders and buy orders must be deleted and will not proceed.
- Your friends list is world specific and will not transfer.
Where can I take my character?
- You can move your character to any world in your area, except:
- You can’t take your character all over the world.
- You cannot move your character into the world of maintenance.
- You cannot move your character into a world set in which you already have an existing character.
The post emphasizes that you should be careful in choosing the world, as more transfer tokens will not be available immediately. There could be another wave of free tokens, and it will “make server transfer tokens available for in-store purchase later. We will give notice ahead of time when tokens are transitioning to a paid service.”
Keeping an MMO’s servers working smoothly is no trivial feat, let alone moving content between them when the company has seen an entirely unexpected level of interest in its game. Yesterday’s technical issues resulted in an extended maintenance downtime, which is no real surprise, as Amazon Games had to halt character creation on overstuffed servers and we’re keeping a list of information on the servers.