The Golden Joysticks’ annual gaming jamboree was held last night, a long-running awards show that is judged by public votes and hands out gong to the best in our industry. This year’s pageant also coincides with the 50th anniversary of Computer Space, the first commercial video game, and two categories have been added for the occasion: Best Gaming Hardware of All Time and Ultimate Game of All Time.
Naturally, we all know what the former won. you know right? This is PC. PC is the best. And to prove it, the joysticks rolled out to none other than Gabe Newell himself.
The biggest winner of Ultimate Game of All Time was Fromsoft’s Dark Souls. These categories are obviously always pure logic-fodder, and the idea of one game to rule them all is like declaring the best book ever, but it’s fun to make those arguments anyway. What I particularly respect about Dark Souls is its refusal to be condescending to the player, how it expects of us and rewards us for customization, how it presents a world that It comes out so slowly and makes such revelations. And building glass cannons to take out gank squads in PvP. Here is the award clip:
The awards garnered millions of votes, so these are as good a snapshot of public opinion on this year’s offerings as you’ll get. Happy in the night was Capcom, who picked up 4 Golden Joysticks for Outstanding Resident Evil: Village and 2nd for Best Studio. Best PC game was Hitman 3 (good choice!) and Final Fantasy 14 took home two awards for its community and longevity. The full list is below (Thanks, Gamesradar+), and the show itself at the top of the article.
Golden Joystick Award Winner 2021
- Best Storytelling – Life is Strange: True Colors
- Best multiplayer game – it takes two
- Best Audio – Resident Evil: Village
- Best Visual Design – Ratchet & Clank: Beyond the Rift
- Best Game Expansion – Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island Expansion
- Mobile Game of the Year – League of Legends: Wild Rift
- Best Gaming Hardware – PS5
- Best Indie Game – Death’s Door
- Studio of the Year – Capcom
- Best Actor – Maggie Robertson (Lady Dimitrescu)
- Breakthrough Prize – Housemarque
- Best Game Community – Final Fantasy 14
- Still Playing Award – Final Fantasy 14
- PC Game of the Year – Hitman 3
- Nintendo Game of the Year – Metroid Dread
- Xbox Game of the Year – Psychonauts 2
- PlayStation Game of the Year – Resident Evil Village
- Most Wanted Game – Elden Ring
- Critics’ Choice Award – Deathloop
- Ultimate Game of the Year – Resident Evil Village
- Ultimate Hardware of All Time – PC
- Ultimate Game of All Time – Dark Souls
- And here is the moment Dark Souls won the coveted Ultimate Game of All Time award.