T-Mobile has reached a $19.5 million settlement with the US Federal Communications Commission to investigate the carrier’s 911 outage in June 2020. T-Mobile is also ready to implement a compliance plan, including improvements to its 911 outage notices, the FCC said. Tuesday.
The FCC investigation began in December last year, following a 12-hour outage on June 15, 2020, that led to overcrowding of the carrier’s 4G, 3G and 2G networks. FCC Said There was a “complete failure of over 23,000 911 calls”. More than 23,000 911 calls were recorded without location information, and over 20,000 911 calls were recorded without callback information.
The FCC said it “could not identify the total number of calls affected.” According to the investigation, the outage was caused by a failure of a leased fiber link on the network, a routing defect in one location and two defects in third-party software.
T-Mobile did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
To settle the FCC investigation into two 911 service outages that occurred in August 2014.