“I am excited about the potential human health benefits and discoveries by leveraging AI in the biotech and healthcare space,” Cronin said in an email to GeekWire.
Cronin was most recently a Senior Science Communications Consultant at s2s Public Relations and previously a Product Manager at Nanostring Technologies. He earned his doctorate in bioengineering from the University of Washington, where he researched brain-computer interfaces.
Biotech startups Ojet and Modulus, and health-tech startup Major Boost have all incubated in AI2. The organization, founded by the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, began expanding its incubator program in 2017 after successfully pulling out two AI companies.
– Seattle-based Biotech Firm icosawax Two new executives were appointed and two board members were added:
- Elizabeth Baciroglu As General Consultant. She was most recently associate general counselor at Bothell, Wash.-based Seasons.
- Russian Thomas as Chief Financial Officer. He was most recently CFO at Assembly Biosciences and a former vice president of commercial finance at Gilead Sciences.
- Former Blue Shield of California CFO heidi kunzu as a member of the Board.
- Former Executive Director of UNICEF ann veneman as a member of the Board.
Out of the University of Washington, Icosavax has applied its vaccine development technology to COVID-19 and other viruses. The company went public in July.
– pediatric neurosurgeon Samuel Brown The surgical technology startup is taking a partial leave of absence from the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s Hospital to expand its role as chief medical officer My. He co-founded Proprio with Gabriel Jones And James Youngquist in 2016.
For the next year, the new hybrid arrangement will allow Brod to alternate weeks between his role as an attending neurosurgeon and Proprio, where he will focus on product development, removing regulatory hurdles and soft-launching the platform in surgery programs. Will do
“I fundamentally believe that we have the potential in Proprio to use our technology to make surgeons better, more efficient, and to reduce the cost of care,” Brown told GeekWire via email.
Brown previously co-founded high tech helmet manufacturer Visis. He has been Professor of Neurological Surgery at UW for 14 years and Director of the UW Medicine Sports Institute since 2017.
Proprio’s high-tech surgical instruments use computer vision, AI and virtual reality to produce real-time imagery for surgeons. The company exited stealth mode in 2019 and closed a $23 million Series A funding round last year.
— Former Ticketmaster Chief Information Officer gui cario Joined dapper labs CIO. Growing up with the non-fungible token (NFT) craze, the Vancouver, BC-based blockchain startup powers the popular NBA Top Shot and CryptoKitties digital collectibles. Karyo is located in Seattle.
– NS Global Innovation Exchange (GIX) designated Sean Cara Its new executive director and CEO are set to begin in January. Interim Executive Director Shwetak Patel, a UW professor, inventor and entrepreneur, will return to his previous role as GIX Faculty Lead and CTO.
Carr is currently the Executive Director of the Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Virginia. He has a doctorate in management and a master’s degree in both business administration and journalism. He was previously a producer at ABC News and CNN.
The educational institution is located in Bellevue, Wash., and was launched in 2017 through a partnership between UW, China’s Tsinghua University, and Microsoft.
Gossman was an Azure Distinguished Engineer and Vice President. He is a former Linux Foundation board member.
Kahn was Chief Data Analysis Officer and Vice President. He spent 18 years at IBM before joining Microsoft.
– find technology co-founder Nate Miller He has left the construction mapping startup he founded amy hutchins And Brian Sabo five years ago. He plans to take time off before pursuing his next entrepreneurial venture.
“While I am proud of what Unearth has achieved, I am excited at the opportunities for digital transformation made possible by recent innovations in energy and finance,” Miller said in a message to GeekWire.
The Unearth Technologies map-based platform is used by construction, utilities, telecommunications and government teams for field operations. The Seattle startup has raised $11.6 million to date.
– Former Microsoft Distinguished Engineer dave reed Now the Director of Engineering at Facebook. Reid spent more than 26 years at Microsoft and was a Distinguished Engineer on the Xbox Live, AI Services and Computer Vision teams.
one in post on linkedinReid said the move is meant to challenge itself after taking several steps internally, adding, “The breadth of Microsoft’s technology is enormous and has provided me with the opportunity to work on many different products and technology.”