This week in the news of the wreck
every Friday, ledge Publishes our flagship podcast, Vergecast, where co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bonn discuss the week in tech news with journalists and editors covering the biggest stories.
This week, Nilay and Dieter brought ledge Policy Editor Russell Brandom and Managing Editor Alex Kranz to cover the series of unfortunate events for Facebook: the 60 minutes Whistleblower interviews on Sunday, the massive Facebook outage on Monday, the whistleblower Senate hearings on Tuesday, and the results and reaction the following days.
NS Vergecast Crew discusses the testimony of whistleblower Frances Haugen, how these incidents unfolded amid various Facebook scandals of the past, and what could happen next with tech regulation.
Later in the show, the team switched to lighter tech news from this week: Google announced its Pixel 6 event for this month, a review of Android 12, some updates on battery tests for the latest iPhones, and more.
Listen to the full discussion here or in your favorite podcast player.
Stories discussed this week:
- Nerdshala Tech Survey 2021
- Facebook encourages hate speech for profit, whistleblower says
- Locked out and completely down: Facebook’s scramble to fix the massive outage
- Facebook is coming back after a six-hour outage
- Facebook is back online after a massive outage that also took down Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger and Oculus
- Facebook explains Monday’s Backbone shutdown behind its global outage
- What is BGP, and what role did it play in Facebook’s massive outage
- Everything you need to know from the Facebook whistleblower hearing
- Whistleblower hearing hits Facebook where the company is most vulnerable
- Facebook whistleblower hearing explores the dangers of engagement algorithms
- Facebook’s whistleblower report confirms what researchers have known for years
- Facebook runs a cowardly playbook to defame whistleblowers
- What’s Good, What’s Bad, and What’s Not in Facebook whistleblower’s testimony
- Mark Zuckerberg breaks silence to say Facebook whistleblower claims ‘make no sense’
- Facebook reportedly slows feature development for ‘prestigious reviews’
- Google has just announced its Pixel 6 event on October 19th
- Android 12 review: It’s mostly about the looks
- Android 12 coming to Pixel phones in the ‘next few weeks’
- Pixel 6 rumored 23W wireless charging stand and more details leak early
- iPhone 13 Mini and 13 Pro Max Battery Life: Better, and a Beast
- Latest iOS 15.1 beta includes iPhone 13 Pro camera features
- Halide’s latest update brings iPhone 13 Pro’s Macro Mode to older iPhones
- After Epic vs. Apple, a small developer is challenging Apple’s in-app payment system
- Apple is making it easier to delete accounts associated with third-party apps
- Apple’s healthcare division leaned on misleading data, alleges report
- Nintendo Switch OLED review: Screentime
- Google’s latest Next doorbell and camera aren’t the obvious upgrades
- Amazon is reportedly working on a smart fridge
- Twitch confirms major data breach after its source code and secrets are leaked
- Taylor Swift fans are getting stuck in the Virginia gubernatorial race
- The Nerdshala is now on your Smart TV
- Springboard announcement: The Nerdshala’s documentary on the forgotten history of Treo